Buffalo Niagara International Trade Gateway Organization 2018 Agenda
The mission of the Buffalo Niagara International Trade Gateway is to build upon the capacity of existing organizations and leverage the advantages of the region – extensive transportation system, experienced logistics and trade networks, positioning as part of the third largest and fastest growing metropolitan region in North America, and our history and reputation since the nineteenth century – as a center for trade and commerce.
- Serve as a critical component of Western New York’s economic development plan by strengthening the advanced manufacturing and services export base through enhancing and leveraging logistics capabilities.
- Create employment opportunities through attraction of freight to Western New York and engagement of global logistics stakeholders.
- Support attraction of new investment to the region by promoting and facilitating strategic market access opportunities due to region’s dual position as part of the 3rd largest market in North America and as an inland port for the Port Authority of NY/NJ.
2018 Action Items
- Relationship Port Authority NY/NJ – Continue to strengthen and enhance ITGO’s relationship with PANYNJ through the memorandum-of-understanding, while raising the profile of the connection with both the WNY state delegation and the Governor’s office; collaborate with PANYNJ on interaction with both rail lines and ocean carriers; strengthen relationships with additional contacts at PANYNJ to prepare for upcoming retirements
- Create Regional Shipping Database – Raise funding for the completion and implementation of a bi-national regional shipping database to inform ITGO’s efforts and partnerships going forward; seek out opportunities to monetize the resulting data to provide a revenue stream for the organization
- Regional Freight Analysis – Actively engage freight-routing decision-makers and regional users to understand their plans for the region and solicit feedback on regional freight attraction efforts; continue and enhance ITGO’s participation in NYSDOT freight planning process
- Optimize Impact of Portage Bridge Replacement – Work directly with Norfolk-Southern and PANYNJ to understand and promote new opportunities to bring freight to and from WNY due to the completed replacement of the Portage Bridge Lakeside Commerce Park Intermodal Facility – Secure funding for crossdocking facility at Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park
- Support Riverbend Development – Make available private sector logistics resources and expertise in support of Riverbend/Solar City/Tesla project and surrounding areas
- Continental 1 – Complete Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for remainder of NYS portion of Route 219; support Continental 1’s efforts to identify and secure construction funding following SEIS completion
- Implementation of At-Speed Tolls at Williamsville and Lackawanna Toll Barriers – Utilize momentum of replacement of Grand Island toll barriers with at-speed structures to advocate similar projects at the Williamsville and Lackawanna facilities
- NYS Thruway Youngs Road Interchange – Creation of a new Youngs Road interchange on the NYS Thruway to support Buffalo Niagara International Airport and surrounding manufacturing community
- Lehigh Valley Yard Evaluation – Make available private sector logistics resources and expertise in support of NYSDOT analysis of Lehigh Valley Yard as a potential intermodal facility
- Bethlehem Steel – Work with ECIDA/Erie County to determine optimal use for Bethlehem Steel property, short- and long-term
- Engagement w/National Organizations – Raise ITGO’s profile nationwide with inclusion/membership in relevant national logistics and trade organizations such as Intermodal Association of America, CanAm Border Trade Alliance and the Council for the Great Lakes Region; seek out promotional, PR and speaking opportunities with these groups
- Direct Support for Regional Business Attraction Efforts – Provide direct assistance for companies as requested by economic development partners engaged in business attraction, such as Invest Buffalo Niagara and Niagara County Center for Economic Development
- Optimize ITGO’s Role in Regional Economic Development – Further establish ITGO’s niche and partnerships with regional economic development partners
- Commencement of Lewiston-Queenston Bridge U.S. Customs Plaza Renovations – Support Niagara Falls Bridge Commission with advocacy and promotion for the completion of the project
- Pre-inspection Agreement between US/Canada – Advocate for a final determination on pre-inspection at the Peace Bridge
- Optimize Commercial Border Crossing Processes – Secure approval and begin implementation of changes to commercial border crossing processes to facilitate traffic flow, including requiring e-manifest for empty trucks and cashless toll processing
- Canadian Interaction – Strengthen relationship with Canadian logistics and economic development stakeholders for sharing of best practices and business opportunities; formalize and implement memorandum-of-understanding with Niagara Region
- Direct Outreach and Technical Assistance for Manufacturers – Provide direct interaction with 20-25 companies (new contacts) to assist with logistics challenges leading to new export opportunities
- Implement Programming to Support Export Assistance – Provide seminars, panel discussions and training seminars, potentially in collaboration with economic development partners, to educate and update companies on opportunities to enhance their export potential through optimizing logistics processes
- Information Resource – Optimize delivery system for logistics-related information to stakeholders (newsletter, social media) to make ITGO a go-to resource for industry knowledge and education
LOGISTICS WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Regional Workforce Needs – Work directly with companies providing or requiring logistics services to determine the region’s current and forward-looking personnel needs, particularly in light of larger, logistics-heavy companies being arriving in the region
- Enhance Higher Ed Relationships – Enhance relationships with regional higher educational institutions engaged in logistics and supply chain education
- Enhance Workforce Development Relationships – Enhance relationships with regional workforce development programs to (1) interject a logistics perspective and (2) link companies in need of assistance