ITGO’s strategic plan has been crafted through a collaboration of the private, public and academic sectors in Western New York in a process led by the ITGO Board of Directors and incorporating the input of nearly 60 regional logistics stakeholders over the past five years. While the plan is extensive, and there is much work to do on both the short- and long-terms, below are ITGO’s chief priority items for 2017.
- Hire Executive Director – COMPLETE
- Fundraising – Create sustainable resources necessary to implement ITGO’s agenda
- Create ITGO Brand – Develop ITGO web site, social media platforms and promotional materials, including logo, colors, message, etc.
- Engage Economic Development Stakeholders – Engaging economic development stakeholders to (1) create awareness of ITGO mission and agenda; (2) create broader understanding of logistics needs, and the importance of the industry to WNY; (3) ensure logistics industry’s place at the table in regional planning discussions
- Create Regional Shipping Database – In collaboration with Port Authority of NY/NJ and Global NY
- Regional Freight Analysis – Actively engage CSX and N-S to understand their plans for the region and feedback on regional freight attraction efforts
- Relationship Port Authority NY/NJ – Solidify PANY/NJ relationships in the wake of retirements and more effectively bring ITGO-PANY/NJ relationship to the Governor’s office; identify and develop competitive funding “ask” (marketing/infrastructure)
- Support Riverbend Development – Make available private sector logistics resources and expertise in support of Riverbend/Solar City project and surrounding areas
- Secure ITGO Representation on NYS Freight Planning Advisory Committee
- Implementation of At-Speed Tolls at Williamsville, Hamburg and Grand Island Toll Barriers – The Thruway system in WNY features four manned toll barriers (Williamsville, Grand Island (2), Hamburg) that are bottlenecks for freight and passenger traffic, and subject neighborhoods to unnecessary pollution; New York State began implementation of at-speed tolls at 10 MTA bridges in 2016.
- Lehigh Valley Yard Evaluation – Make available private sector logistics resources and expertise in support of NYSDOT analysis of Lehigh Valley Yard as a potential intermodal facility
- Completion of Lewiston-Queenston Bridge U.S. Customs Plaza – Engage Niagara Falls Bridge Commission and advocate on behalf of logistics and trade stakeholders
- Pre-inspection Agreement between US/Canada – Advocate permanent pre-inspection agreement at the Peace Bridge
- Complete Peace Bridge projects – Develop communications options for the logistics industry for updates on Peace Bridge projects and impacts on border trade
LOGISTICS WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Regional Workforce Needs – Conduct regional workforce needs analysis specific to the logistics industry to better inform workforce development programs of needs
- Inventory Regional Curricula – Conduct regional curricula analysis specific to the logistics industry; create stronger relationship between private sector shippers and logistics companies and regional educational institutions